The aim of the Environmental Sector is to advance science and technology related to the field of environmental engineering. It provides a forum for co-operation and the exchange of information relating to professional activities associated with promoting an environmentally sustainable future by reducing the influence of human activity on the world-wide environment.
Sustainable activities embraced by the Environmental Sector include designing and maintaining products and systems in such a way as to minimise their impact on the environment. Activities also include the use of equipment, ensuring they have a satisfactory operational life and at the end of their planned lifespan they can be reused or recycled.
The goals of the Environmental Sector are to:
- Promote the establishment of knowledge and experience, on the effects of environments, pollution and contamination and how they impact equipment, structures, building and the population.
- Stimulate the establishment of knowledge and experience on the influences of human activities and technologies on the world-wide environment.
- Encourage the application of sustainable technologies and methodologies.
- Ensure the resilience and integrity of products and systems against environmental influences.
- Improve the application of best practices and standardisation related to environmental engineering.
Members of the SOE Environmental Sector are involved in:
- Applying and developing sustainable technologies and methodologies.
- Establishing engineering knowledge and experience on the effects and influences of equipment and environmental conditions.
- Design, testing, assessing, operating and maintaining both products and systems, to enhance their integrity, performance, reliability, service life, reusability and disposability.
- Collaborating in establishing and applying best practice and standardisation related to environmental engineering.
- Providing education and training on environmental engineering as well as sustainable technologies and methodologies.
Members of the new environmental sector will benefit from special events and webinars on the latest developments in a fast-moving and complex area of activity. They will also have access to professional registration with the Engineering Council or the Society for the Environment. If you have any questions in the meantime please email email@example.com
Award winner Rachel Owen combines engineering and environmental knowledge for pioneering rewilding project
Rachel Owen wins SOE Environmental Engineer of the Year after success of Northern Ireland rewilding report.
High achievers from the engineering industry were named in nine categories at the inaugural SOE Safety & Sustainability Awards ceremony this summer.
Registered environmental professionals from SOE and across sectors are key to successful implementation.