Engineering Council FAQs

Q. What are the benefits of Engineering Council Registration?

A. Engineering Council registration is an additional opportunity to gain professional recognition in industry and the wider engineering community. Becoming registered can advance your career by helping you to prove your skills, experience and expertise at work. Registration is also beneficial to members employed outside the UK as it is recognised internationally. SOE can offer registration at all three levels – Engineering Technician (EngTech), Incorporated Engineer (IEng) and Chartered Engineer (CEng).

Q. If I haven’t got any academic qualifications in engineering, how can I gain registration?

A. SOE believes that individuals who have achieved a high standard of professional competence in their careers should not be restricted by lack of early formal educational achievements.

The Technical Report (TR) option has therefore been introduced to provide a pathway to Engineering Council registration for those members who do not have formal academic qualifications at the required level, but are able to demonstrate that they have achieved a high standard of engineering experience.

The TR option is an academic assessment to identify that the candidate has, through experience, gained the fundamental knowledge expected of an engineer of similar status who has satisfied the educational requirement in the academic manner.

Q. Why is my BTEC Higher National Certificate/Diploma (HNC/D) not eligible for registration at Incorporated Engineer (IEng) level?

A. The Engineering Council introduced a revised qualification framework on the 1st September 1999, therefore those members that enrolled on their HNC/D course of study before the 31st August 1999 will be eligible for registration at Incorporated Engineer (IEng) level, and those who enrolled after the 1st September 1999 will be eligible for registration at Engineering Technician (EngTech) level.

Q. What does a Professional Review Interview (PRI) involve and what format does it follow?

A. All candidates applying for registration at IEng or CEng levels have to attend a PRI which will be conducted by two fully trained Professional Review Interviewers. The interviewers receive a copy of an individual’s registration application approximately two weeks prior to the interview to allow sufficient preparation time. The interview will be based on the information supplied in the application and the interviewers will most likely probe areas they feel need further clarification, or they may ask a candidate to talk them through projects or work that they have been involved with. When attending a PRI it is recommended that a candidate takes with them one or two pieces of evidence in relation to projects or work that they have been involved in; the evidence could be in the form of drawings, calculations, photographs etc.

Q. Where will my PRI take place

A. In accordance with Engineering Council directives Professional Review Interviewers have to be officially trained in order to conduct PRI’s. The SOE does have fully trained interviewers located in various areas across England as well as Glasgow, Belfast, the Irish Republic, Germany & Hong Kong. The SOE endeavors to provide a convenient PRI location for all those involved in the PRI process.

Q. How long will my registration take to complete?

A. Unfortunately the SOE cannot offer a specific time frame for registration applications due to the various requirements for the different grades of registration (CEng, IEng or EngTech) and the different routes followed. All registration applications have to be finally authorised by the appropriate SOE Panel and meetings are held approximately every eight weeks.

Q. What if I don’t have qualifications from the UK or an accredited course?

A. Members who hold qualifications from countries other than the UK, or who hold qualifications not on the Engineering Council accredited courses database, are strongly advised to obtain a ‘letter of comparability’ from the UK National Recognition Information Centre (UK NARIC) and submit it with their application.