Engineering CPD & Professional Development Record
The SOE is committed to its members' career development and in support of this actively promotes lifelong learning in the form of CPD (Continuing Professional Development).
Career development for engineers
Although many engineers and technicians will have achieved a formal education, changes in technology and business practice mean that professional competence must be enhanced on an ongoing basis.
CPD is essential for engineers to maintain and develop professional competence. It helps you learn how to apply your knowledge and understanding and apply professional judgement. Any formal or informal learning activity is recognised as CPD as long as it is business-related and as long you can demonstrate what you have learnt.
Professional Development Record
Evidence of CPD is required for membership and registration with Engineering Council. The SOE has developed a Professional Development Record that you might find useful to record your learning. You can download it in either PDF or Microsoft Word format below:
Examples of CPD
- Manufacturer and product courses
- On-the-job learning
- Private reading and study
- In-house conferences, etc
- SOE centre, regional or national events
- Academic studies including vocational qualifications, e.g. technical; management; contract law; IT/computing; safety; languages
- Professional institutional committee work
- Writing of papers and articles
- Occasional lecturing
- Distance learning
- Assisting and supporting others
- Reading Plant Engineer magazine can contribute to your own CPD.
Find out more
For more details or advice please contact the membership department, by email firstname.lastname@example.org or by telephone on 020 7630 6666.